New PCB chief to look into board`s financial affairs
Karachi: Newly-appointed interim PCB chairman, Najam Sethi has been given the task of looking into the financial affairs of the board after reports emerged that lot of money had been squandered away in the last two years.
A source aware of the developments in the board after the appointment of Sethi today, said that since Zaka Ashraf took over as Chairman of the board the financial position of the board had declined considerably.
"At the moment the board has total cash flow of around three billion rupees in its bank accounts compared to five billion rupees two years back," the source said.
Ashraf was stopped from working as Chairman of the board by the Islamabad High Court in May after he got elected under the new constitution of the board.
Sethi has been appointed interim Chairman on the directives of the IHC which has also said that he should represent Pakistan at the ICC annual board meeting in London next week.
The source said that when Ijaz Butt had completed his tenure as Chairman of the board in October, 2011 he had left behind a strong bank balance. "He also informed the media about this," he recalled.
Butt had also made it clear that the board would also earn around six billion rupees more in 2012 from the proposed Indo-Pakistan one-day series and its share from the ICC for the World T20 Cup.
The interesting thing is that even the first class cricketers of the regional teams have complained of not being paid their monthly retainers for the last six months for the last domestic season.
The source said the financial position of the board was not healthy since while the revenues were not strong despite getting around three million dollars from its share of the World T20 Cup, the board had been spending a lot in many areas.
"The fees being paid to head coach, Dav Whatmore and the other coaches is hefty while the players have also been given pay increases in last one years while the board also spent a lot on having its first PCB annual awards, on the Pakistan super league secretariat and on completing the cricket stadium in Larkana," the source said.
"To be honest the suspended Chairman was pretty open handed when it came to spending money one example being the USD 25,000 fees paid to former ICC chief executive, Haroon Lorgat to work as advisor in the PSL secretariat," the source noted.
"Even on the day the IHC suspended him as Chairman and obviously it was known it wouldn`t serve any purpose to have the general body meeting in Karachi, yet officials of different regional associations flew into Karachi and were put up at a five star hotel," he noted.
The source said that number of new employments had also taken place in Ashraf`s tenure which put a burden on the board`s coffers.
"The fact that the PCB didn`t earn a single paisa from playing the one-day series in India in December didn`t help the situation at all," the source said.
He said Sethi had been told to prepare a detailed report on the financial affairs of the board on priority basis and he was expected to meet with the financial managers/advisors and auditors of the board soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA