New SA coach Kirsten starts catching up job
Johannesburg: Out of picture for three years in South Africa, former India coach Gary Kirsten says he has a lot of catching up to do as he gears up to mentor the Proteas after guiding Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s men to the World Cup earlier this year.
Kirsten officially took up his position as South African coach on August 1 although his appointment was announced on June 6.
"There has been a fair amount of planning going on, and I`ve had a few one-on-ones with the players," Kirsten told the daily `Sportsday`.
"I`ve also met with (former South African coach) Corrie van Zyl in his role (as head of) the High Performance Centre in Pretoria. A special camp has been scheduled at the end this month ahead of the Proteas first international of the season against Australia in Cape Town on October 13," he added.
This is to accommodate the players who will be participating in the Champions League Twenty20 series in India in September.
Provincial sides Warriors and Cobras will represent South Africa in the tournament, while national caps Albie Morkel and AB de Villiers will play for the Chennai Super Kings and Royal Challengers Bangalore respectively.
Kirsten said the camp would also see former South African national squad players participating. Kirsten is also keeping a close watch on the one-day series between Sri Lanka and Australia, both of whom will tour South Africa next season.
Kirsten was not unduly concerned that the Proteas would be matching wits with the Sri Lankans for the first time since 2006 in a Test series and that they last visited here in 2002.
"Hopefully I can be of use because we played them a lot when I was with India," Kirsten said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!