New Zealand beat Windies by 12 runs in first Twenty20
Roseau: New Zealand relied on their two most experienced batsmen to defeat the West Indies by 12 runs on the Duckworth/Lewis scoring method in the rain-affected first T20 International at Windsor Park to take a 1-0 lead in the two-match series.
Replying to the home side`s total of 132 for eight off 18 overs in the rain-affected match, the tourists were cruising at 117 for four after 15 overs when the cumulative effect of a persistent drizzle and fading light forced the umpires to call a halt to the match yesterday.
The final match is scheduled for Sunday at the same venue. Brendon McCullum spearheaded the run-chase for the Black Caps, the captain underlining his reputation as one of the most prolific scorers in the shortest form of the international game with an innings of 40 off 35 balls to wrest the initiative for his team despite a three-wicket burst by his West Indies counterpart, Darren Sammy.
He came to the crease when Krishmar Santokie had Jimmy Neesham bowled off the inside-edge and found an able partner in Kane Williamson. The man of the series from the Tests helped his captain put on 53 for the second wicket before he became Sammy`s first wicket.
McCullum`s knock, and the support of Ross Taylor (28 not out), overshadowed the pulverizing innings of 52 off 39 balls by Andre Fletcher that paced the West Indies to what seemed a competitive total after they were in early trouble at 10 for two.
Taylor smashed two sixes and a four off an over from all-rounder Russell that shot New Zealand so far ahead of the required rate that victory was a formality from that point.
Fletcher and Darren Bravo (30) put on 88 for the third wicket, but the excellent bowling of seamer Tim Southee (2 for 20) restricted the home side in the critical final overs of the innings.
Debutant leg-spinner Ish Sodhi was the only New Zealand bowler to suffer against the West Indies batsmen, conceding 35 runs off three overs. He did have the consolation however of claiming the wicket of Fletcher just at the point where the attacking right-hander was set to accelerate even further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide