New Zealand dismiss fixing claims as "baseless"
Wellington: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) on Monday rubbished a newspaper report that some of its players were involved in match-fixing, terming the allegations as "baseless" and "irresponsible".
NZC chief executive David White said the claims made in Britain`s Sunday Times newspaper were far from being true and that the ICC`s anti-corruption unit was investigating the allegations.
"We have complete confidence that the claims made are baseless and have no credibility. The sources are not credible and the accusations are unsubstantiated making them irresponsible, damaging and untrue," White said in a statement.
"The integrity and reputation of the game is paramount and NZC have absolute confidence that our players share these ideals," he added.
New Zealand Cricket Players` Association (NZCPA) chief executive Heath Mills also dismissed the claims.
"There`s no doubt that those who play on the sub-continent will inadvertently come into contact with people of ill repute," he was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Herald.
"But I don`t believe anyone I work with is, or has ever been, involved... I would be highly surprised and bitterly disappointed if that was the case," he said.
Fresh allegations of corruption came to light in cricket after a recent report in the British newspaper claimed that Indian bookmakers were involved in fixing results of international matches and English county games.
It also claimed that a few New Zealand players, who were not named in the report, were also involved in match-fixing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you