New Zealand down Australia in U-19 tournament
Darwin: New Zealand recorded their first win of the Under-19 International Series, beating Australia by 24 runs at Marrara Oval here Saturday.
In the end, New Zealand`s total of 225 for nine proved too much for the Australians to chase down, who finished at 201 for nine from their 50 overs in the round 4 match.
The Australians looked promising with the ball early after losing the toss, but their economical start was wasted as edges went missing and poor fielding let the Kiwis get their eye in.
New Zealand opener and player of the match Rakitha Weerasundara capitalised on a number of dropped catches on his way to 75 and a few lower-order cameos saw the Kiwis reach a defendable total.
Cam Valente was the pick of the Aussie bowlers with four for 41 from his 10 overs, while Matt Kelly (2/33), Matt Fotia (1/54), Riley Ayre (1/28) and Gabe Bell (1/54) also chipped in.
The Aussies needed to bat well in reply, but New Zealand’s bowlers snared wickets before any batsman could convert his start.
A fourth-wicket partnership between Ben McDermott (41) and captain Alex Gregory (26) gave the Aussies some hope, but New Zealand`s bowlers continued to strangle the scoring.
Jake Doran was again the star for the Aussies with the bat with a run-a-ball 54 in the middle order, but by then the run-rate was too great.
Doran`s unbeaten effort ensured the Kiwis didn`t earn any bonus points, so Australia still sit second on the U-19 International Series points table, only ahead of third-placed NZ by a superior quotient.
India top the standings with 10 points having won both their matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city