New Zealand head to Sri Lanka without Vettori
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Wellington: Former New Zealand captain and left arm spinner Daniel Vettori will miss the upcoming tour to Sri Lanka due to a strain injury. Todd Astle would replace him in the 15-member Test squad.
Vettori got this Achilles strain during World Twenty20 Tournament where the Kiwis were defeated by the ultimate champions West Indies.
The chief selector "Kim Littlejohn" recommended Astle with a lot of confidence considering his consistence performance in the past few seasons. "He has the ability to contribute in all three facets of the game and deserves his opportunity after putting in consistent performances over a number of seasons," Littlejohn said.
Vettori was the most in-form and the key player of New Zealand squad. His absence will be felt on the Sri Lankan pitches where spinners have an upper-hand. Jeetan Patel, the most experienced slow bowler with 15 Tests, is also in the squad.
New Zealand is scheduled to play two Tests, five one-dayers and one T20 International in Sri Lanka starting October 30.
Ross Taylor (captain), Todd Astle, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Rob Nicol, Jeetan Patel, Tim Southee, Kruger van Wyk, Neil Wagner, Kane Williamson.
Ondayers & T20 squad:
Ross Taylor (captain), Trent Boult, Andrew Ellis, James Franklin, Roneel Hira, Rob Nicol, Tom Latham, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Jacob Oram, Tim Southee, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert