New Zealand quick Southee pulls out of Champions League
Christchurch: New Zealand fast bowler Tim Southee on Tuesday pulled out of the Champions League Twenty20 cricket tournament after suffering a knee injury.
Southee, who recently won the ICC Twenty20 International Performance of the Year award, was scheduled to fly to India this week to join the Chennai Super Kings ahead of their first match on September 24.
But now, he will stay home for treatment in an attempt to be fit for New Zealand`s upcoming tour of Zimbabwe.
"Tim has suffered some cartilage damage to his left knee while preparing for the Champions League," New Zealand director of cricket John Buchanan said.
"He requires further assessment to determine the seriousness of the injury but initial signs indicate that he is unlikely to require surgery.
"A call on his availability for the Black Caps` tour of Zimbabwe will be made closer to the time."
Southee won the year award for his five wickets in eight balls, including a hat-trick, when New Zealand beat Pakistan by five wickets last December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic