New Zealand vs England - First Test: Compton, Cook centuries cap convincing batting display
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Dunedin: If the Kiwis dominated the first half of the first Test, the visiting English team had their day at last as Day 4 saw their openers click impressively!
New Zealand started the day extending their lead but after McCullum was dismissed for 74 and Martin went for 41, the Black Caps declared at 460 as soon as their 9th wicket went down.
With England trailing by 293 runs when Cook and Compton reached the crease to open the innings, it looked like the Kiwis could surprise the cricketing world with an innings` win, especially given their first innings performance.
But the batsmen had other plans in mind as a relentless batting display saw them rack up 231 runs before Cook was dismissed for 116, edging one through to Watling, providing Boult with his first scalp of the innings. The massive partnership also became the biggest opening partnership in the history of England`s international cricket.
Finn joined Compton, who was closing in on his own century, for the final few overs and ended the day unbeaten on 0. Compton, on his part, did bring up his hundred before the end of play, ending at 102*.
The solid batting performance has led the English to within 59 runs from taking the lead and, more importantly, if they continue with this grit and determination, this match should end up in a draw, with only one day`s play remaining.
The Kiwis would hope they can start the final day with a few quick wickets and it would be very naive to rule that out just yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand