New Zealand vs England - First Test: Compton, Cook centuries cap convincing batting display
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Dunedin: If the Kiwis dominated the first half of the first Test, the visiting English team had their day at last as Day 4 saw their openers click impressively!
New Zealand started the day extending their lead but after McCullum was dismissed for 74 and Martin went for 41, the Black Caps declared at 460 as soon as their 9th wicket went down.
With England trailing by 293 runs when Cook and Compton reached the crease to open the innings, it looked like the Kiwis could surprise the cricketing world with an innings` win, especially given their first innings performance.
But the batsmen had other plans in mind as a relentless batting display saw them rack up 231 runs before Cook was dismissed for 116, edging one through to Watling, providing Boult with his first scalp of the innings. The massive partnership also became the biggest opening partnership in the history of England`s international cricket.
Finn joined Compton, who was closing in on his own century, for the final few overs and ended the day unbeaten on 0. Compton, on his part, did bring up his hundred before the end of play, ending at 102*.
The solid batting performance has led the English to within 59 runs from taking the lead and, more importantly, if they continue with this grit and determination, this match should end up in a draw, with only one day`s play remaining.
The Kiwis would hope they can start the final day with a few quick wickets and it would be very naive to rule that out just yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon