Newlands cricket bosses nervous at impasse over India-South Africa series
Johannesburg: Cricket bosses at the Newlands stadium in Cape Town, South Africa are reportedly nervous over the fate of the controversial, headline Indian cricket tour of South Africa set to begin from November this year.
Newlands is traditionally the biggest `gold mine` in terms of spectator numbers, particularly for Test matches, and had initially been anticipating one of the busiest seasons of international activity at the venue in many years with the India tour.
According to Sport24, however, Newlands CEO Andre Odendaal said that the Indian impasse had created uncertainty and pressure on them as they can only get their final fixtures for domestic cricket very late because of international fixtures` scheduling.
Although Odendaal said that they would like their fixtures before the financial year starts in April and then get ready for cricket, he added that they are aware of the situation Cricket South Africa ( CSA) is in currently for which they should be as professional as possible in dealing with it.
However, Odendaal is still hoping that the tour goes ahead as the international schedule initially given to Newlands was likely the best they have had in a decade with three Indian games plus Australia (a confirmed Test in February) in a single season.
Newlands had initially expected the second T20 international against India on November 24, the final ODI on December 15 and the traditional New Year Test (the second) from January 2-6, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say