‘Next England captain’ Root set to open in Ashes
London: Youngster Joe Root has been chosen to don the opener’s cap for England during the summer Ashes and has been touted as a future captain for England by former England cricketer Michael Vaughan.
Root, along with Nick Compton, may be opening in the inaugural four-day warm-up matches ahead of the Test series with New Zealand, the Mirror reports.
According to Root, he is pleased to be chosen to open for England, although he said that he just wants to represent his country and added that it does not matter in which position he bats, whether as an opener or in the middle-order.
The young English cricketer said that he is gratified to be touted as a future England captain by his role –model Vaughan but said that he has played only a few games, and captainship is still a long way for him.
Root added that he has to be sure that he is in a good frame of mind for the series against New Zealand and is ready to grab any opportunity.
Root is the first player in one-day international history to score more than 30 in his first six innings, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- US envoy calls on Syria rebels to respect truce
- Bond girl? Nah, not good enough! Priyanka Chopra has bigger dreams – Details inside
- UBHL seeks time till July to file results due to Mallya cases
- 'Paa' Amitabh Bachchan liked my performance in 'Sarbjit': Aishwarya
- No fun working with Kangana if her role is small: Irrfan Khan