‘Next England captain’ Root set to open in Ashes
London: Youngster Joe Root has been chosen to don the opener’s cap for England during the summer Ashes and has been touted as a future captain for England by former England cricketer Michael Vaughan.
Root, along with Nick Compton, may be opening in the inaugural four-day warm-up matches ahead of the Test series with New Zealand, the Mirror reports.
According to Root, he is pleased to be chosen to open for England, although he said that he just wants to represent his country and added that it does not matter in which position he bats, whether as an opener or in the middle-order.
The young English cricketer said that he is gratified to be touted as a future England captain by his role –model Vaughan but said that he has played only a few games, and captainship is still a long way for him.
Root added that he has to be sure that he is in a good frame of mind for the series against New Zealand and is ready to grab any opportunity.
Root is the first player in one-day international history to score more than 30 in his first six innings, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III