Next Sachin Tendulkar in making? Prithivi Shaw smashes record 546 runs
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Mumbai: While playing in Harris Shield, Prithivi Shaw, skipper of Rizvi Springfield, created national record by becoming the first batsman to score 500 runs in inter school tournament on Wednesday.
Shaw who is also the skipper of Mumbai’s under-16 team, achieved this feat while playing against St. Francis D`Assisi.
The 14-year-old Shaw used mere 330 balls to create this world record, laced with 85 boundaries and five sixes.
Before Shaw’s mammoth knock, Arman Jaffer, held the record with the score of 498 runs. Armaan is the nephew of former Test batsman Wasim Jaffer.
A day before, Prithvi was unbeaten on 257 putting Rizvi Springfield (Bandra) in a commanding position against St. Francis D`Assisi (Borivali).
There has been a buzz about Prithvi's immense talent in the Mumbai cricket circuit for quite some time. He also went on a cricket scholarship to the United Kingdom where he had trained at the Gloucestershire academy and also played some practice matches for their second team.
From the age of eight, he used to travel around 70 kms from suburban Virar to be in time for his coaching camp and matches in Mumbai Maidans.
With performances like these, there is a possibility that the junior selection committee under the chairmanship of Connor Williams will be seriously thinking about Shaw with the Under-19 World Cup in mind next year.
Shaw has played the record breaking knock just after the retirement of batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar, who also hails from Mumbai.
It was Harris Shield, which first brought Sachin Tendulkar into national prominence after his world record partnership of 664 with Vinod Kambli that was broken a few years back. So is it another another star in the making? Time will tell.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why