Next Sachin Tendulkar in making? Prithivi Shaw smashes record 546 runs
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Mumbai: While playing in Harris Shield, Prithivi Shaw, skipper of Rizvi Springfield, created national record by becoming the first batsman to score 500 runs in inter school tournament on Wednesday.
Shaw who is also the skipper of Mumbai’s under-16 team, achieved this feat while playing against St. Francis D`Assisi.
The 14-year-old Shaw used mere 330 balls to create this world record, laced with 85 boundaries and five sixes.
Before Shaw’s mammoth knock, Arman Jaffer, held the record with the score of 498 runs. Armaan is the nephew of former Test batsman Wasim Jaffer.
A day before, Prithvi was unbeaten on 257 putting Rizvi Springfield (Bandra) in a commanding position against St. Francis D`Assisi (Borivali).
There has been a buzz about Prithvi's immense talent in the Mumbai cricket circuit for quite some time. He also went on a cricket scholarship to the United Kingdom where he had trained at the Gloucestershire academy and also played some practice matches for their second team.
From the age of eight, he used to travel around 70 kms from suburban Virar to be in time for his coaching camp and matches in Mumbai Maidans.
With performances like these, there is a possibility that the junior selection committee under the chairmanship of Connor Williams will be seriously thinking about Shaw with the Under-19 World Cup in mind next year.
Shaw has played the record breaking knock just after the retirement of batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar, who also hails from Mumbai.
It was Harris Shield, which first brought Sachin Tendulkar into national prominence after his world record partnership of 664 with Vinod Kambli that was broken a few years back. So is it another another star in the making? Time will tell.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?