Nielsen steps down as Australia coach
Sydney: Australia head coach Tim Nielsen has decided to step down rather than reapply for his job, Cricket
Australia said on Tuesday.
Nielsen would have been forced to reapply for a position he had held for more than four years, after a seven-month review into the way Australian cricket is run recommended that the role of national team coach should be expanded and refined.
The report came after Australia`s loss of a home Ashes series to England last season.
Rather than go through that process, Nielsen decided "to begin a new chapter in his professional life," Cricket Australia chief executive officer James Sutherland said.
In a statement on the Cricket Australia website, Nielsen said he would be taking up a different role in Australian cricket that has yet to be announced.
"It has been an honour and a privilege to work with the Australian cricket team in the role of head coach for the last four-and-half years," Nielsen said.
"Throughout that period we have had some great success as well as experiencing some tough times."
Nielsen coached Australia in 15 Test series between 2007 and 2011, winning nine, losing five and drawing one.
Australia is currently ranked no 1 in one-day cricket. Nielsen coached Australia in 25 One-Day International series, overseeing 17 wins, seven losses and one draw.
Australia wrapped up a series win over Sri Lanka today by drawing the third and final Test in Colombo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents