Niraj helps Gujarat post 520 in first innings against Delhi
Valsad (Gujarat): Niraj Patel scored an unbeaten double century to help Gujarat amass 520 runs in their first innings against Delhi and gain an upperhand at the end of the second day`s play in their Group B Ranji Trophy Elite division match on Friday.
Niraj, resuming the day on personal score of 111, notched up his career-best score of 228 runs off 359 balls studded with as many as 32 fours and two huge hits over the fence.
Resuming the day at 358 for six, overnight batsmen Niraj and Salil Yadav (71) played sensibly and shared a vital 174-run stand for the seventh wicket to take the home team past the 500-run mark.
Young left-arm orthodox bowler Vikas Mishra turned out to be the star performer for Delhi with career-best figures of seven for 116 runs.
In reply, Delhi were precariously placed at 118 for three at stumps with opener Unmukt Chand ending the day on unbeaten 72 and giving him company was all-rounder Rajat Bhatia on 21.
For Gujarat, right-arm pacer Faisal Dudhat picked up two wickets giving away 19 runs, while Amit Singh accounted for the other Delhi wicket.
Delhi now trail Gujarat by 402 runs with seven wickets in hand with two more days still remaining in the four-day match.
Gujarat 1st innings: 520 runs all out in 142.5 overs (Niraj Patel 228 not out, Parhtiv Patel 100, Salil Yadav 71; Vikas Mishra 7/116).
Delhi 1st innings: 118 for three in 35 overs (Unmukt Chand 72 not out, Rajat Bhatia 21 not out; Faisal Dudhat 2/19).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Japan gives up on failed black hole research satellite
- Notice issued to Priyanka Gandhi Vadra over her land deal in Shimla
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer
- CAD to widen to $25 billion in FY17 on surge in gold imports, sluggish exports: Report
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday