No cricketer nominated for Arjuna, Khel Ratna
New Delhi: None of India`s top international cricketers will get nomination for the prestigious Arjuna Award for their performance during the last season, apparently due to a major communication gap between the sports ministry and the BCCI.
As the deadline for the respective sports associations to send the names of the candidates is over, it has been found that BCCI hasn`t sent any names despite the fact that in 2011 the senior cricket team won the World Cup and Virat Kohli was one of the top run-getters in ODI cricket.
"We haven`t received the Arjuna nomination from the union sports ministry. I can tell you that this has happened for the first time that we haven`t received the format which requires to be filled up and also duly signed by our nominee. When they haven`t sent us an intimation, how do we send a name," BCCI`s Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty told PTI.
"The process of selecting a cricketer and getting all the formalities done takes some time and only the people in the sports ministry can tell as to why we didn`t get the form," Shetty said.
When contacted, a sports ministry official stated,"The question of sending form to BCCI doesn`t arise as it is available on the internet. Any sports association can download it and fill it up. As of now, I am unable to provide you with further details as to why BCCI didn`t send their nomination."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Drug trafficker held in Manipur
- Kin seeks recall of transfer of officer probing Pansare case
- China to provide USD 1.5 million for Sri Lankan flood relief
- Islamic State advances against Syrian rebels near Turkish border - monitor
- Korean Air jet catches fire at Tokyo's Haneda airport, forcing evacuation