No decision as yet on new Pakistan coach: PCB
Karachi: PCB acting Chairman Najam Sethi has said the decision on appointing a new head coach of the Pakistan cricket team has been delayed due to restrictions placed on them by the Islamabad High Court.
Sethi told reporters in Lahore that since the final verdict from the IHC divisional bench was still awaited on the intra court appeal, filed by the PCB against an earlier judgement, they cannot take appointment decisions.
"We have not thought about the new coach because our hands are tied right now and we are not in a position to take any long term decisions," Sethi said.
Whatmore has announced that he will not seek an extension of his two-year contract when it expires in February.
Although several names are being circulated to replace the former Australian Test batsman but Sethi said nothing had been finalised.
"The fact is we have not discussed it as yet because we are waiting for the decision on our appeal filed with the divisional bench," he said.
The IHC had in July stopped Sethi from exercising full powers and since then the Board has been unable to function properly and take long term decisions.
Sethi said obviously with the Asia Cup and World T20 coming up from next month, the Board would have to soon give thought to the appointment of a new coach.
But he made it clear that the Board had decided that this time they would appoint a local
coach and not a foreigner.
He hinted if the court decision was delayed then the Board would have to look at a short term coaching arrangement.
Indications are that the PCB will appoint a manager of the team and Moin Khan will also work as coach on short term basis when Whatmore leaves next month.
Pakistan has until now had atleast four foreign coaches without spectacular success including Richard Pybus, Bob Woolmer, Geoff Lawson and now Whatmore.
Sethi said the Board also wanted to have a batting coach or consultant with the team but that decision had also been put on hold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note