No guarantee of Oz Test spot despite Marsh’s century on debut: Tom Moody
Colombo: Former Australian all-rounder Tom Moody reckons that Shaun Marsh could be left out of the Australian squad for the third Test against Sri Lanka despite his century on debut in the Kandy Test last week.
Moody highlighted that with Ricky Ponting set to return in the squad, Marsh will find it difficult to find a place unless the selectors drop Usman Khawaja or Phillip Hughes.
“He’s obviously put his hand up and batted very well when he’s been given an opportunity, but Ricky is going to come straight back at No. 3,” Moody, Marsh’s former coach at Western Australia, said.
“It’s whether they see that they’ve given enough opportunity to both Khawaja and Hughes, at the top of the order. Shaun, I suppose, has the benefit that he can bat anywhere really from one to six. He may just have to be patient, I’d say,” he added.
Marsh became the 19th Australian to score a Test century on debut during the second Test played at Kandy’s Pallekele Stadium.
The 28-year-old scored 141 of 315 balls, which included 18 fours.
He is also the first Australian to make a ton on debut since Marcus North made 117 against South Africa in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?