No guarantee of Oz Test spot despite Marsh’s century on debut: Tom Moody
Colombo: Former Australian all-rounder Tom Moody reckons that Shaun Marsh could be left out of the Australian squad for the third Test against Sri Lanka despite his century on debut in the Kandy Test last week.
Moody highlighted that with Ricky Ponting set to return in the squad, Marsh will find it difficult to find a place unless the selectors drop Usman Khawaja or Phillip Hughes.
“He’s obviously put his hand up and batted very well when he’s been given an opportunity, but Ricky is going to come straight back at No. 3,” Moody, Marsh’s former coach at Western Australia, said.
“It’s whether they see that they’ve given enough opportunity to both Khawaja and Hughes, at the top of the order. Shaun, I suppose, has the benefit that he can bat anywhere really from one to six. He may just have to be patient, I’d say,” he added.
Marsh became the 19th Australian to score a Test century on debut during the second Test played at Kandy’s Pallekele Stadium.
The 28-year-old scored 141 of 315 balls, which included 18 fours.
He is also the first Australian to make a ton on debut since Marcus North made 117 against South Africa in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach