No more day/night cricket at Dambulla stadium: Aluthgamage
Colombo: The Rangiri Dambulla cricket stadium has not been dropped as an international venue althought it will not host the day/night matches, Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage told parliament on Tuesday.
Responding to an opposition query, Aluthgamage said the stadium in central Sri Lanka would continue to be used in the forthcoming tours by Pakistan and India. The two neighbours are to tour Sri Lanka from May to August.
Aluthgamage said the venue has been excluded from the Twenty20 World Cup to be hosted by Sri Lanka this September.
"The ICC ruled that it cannot be used due to the lack of a training venue within 45 minutes travelling range of the stadium," said Aluthgamage.
He said that Dambulla would no longer be used as a day/night venue. The ground was commissioned in 2001 with the idea of hosting one-day internationals throughout the year including the monsoon season. Dambulla comes in the north central province`s dry zone which traditionally records least annual rainfall.
India, in August 2008, was the last international touring side to play there as the venue was overlooked in preference of the two new stadiums -- the Mahinda Rajapaksa stadium in Hambantota and the Pallekele stadium in Kandy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in