No more day/night cricket at Dambulla stadium: Aluthgamage
Colombo: The Rangiri Dambulla cricket stadium has not been dropped as an international venue althought it will not host the day/night matches, Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage told parliament on Tuesday.
Responding to an opposition query, Aluthgamage said the stadium in central Sri Lanka would continue to be used in the forthcoming tours by Pakistan and India. The two neighbours are to tour Sri Lanka from May to August.
Aluthgamage said the venue has been excluded from the Twenty20 World Cup to be hosted by Sri Lanka this September.
"The ICC ruled that it cannot be used due to the lack of a training venue within 45 minutes travelling range of the stadium," said Aluthgamage.
He said that Dambulla would no longer be used as a day/night venue. The ground was commissioned in 2001 with the idea of hosting one-day internationals throughout the year including the monsoon season. Dambulla comes in the north central province`s dry zone which traditionally records least annual rainfall.
India, in August 2008, was the last international touring side to play there as the venue was overlooked in preference of the two new stadiums -- the Mahinda Rajapaksa stadium in Hambantota and the Pallekele stadium in Kandy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video