Karachi: Pakistan`s World Cup squad left for Bangladesh with the players on Friday not being offered new central contracts by the Board and also having half of their match fees deducted for an abandoned ODI in the recent tour of New Zealand.
Sources in the board confirmed that the players were not offered the new contracts when the PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt hosted a farewell dinner for them at the National Cricket Academy last night.
"Although the board had been working on finalizing the new central contracts and the national selectors had also submitted a shortlist of players to be considered for the contracts the board could not prepare them in time to offer them to the players before the World Cup," one source said.
He said that apparently the Board also wanted to wait and see the outcome of the World Cup as the tournament could decide the future of some senior players including Shoaib Akhtar, Abdul Razzaq and Muhammad Yousuf who was not selected for the mega event.
"There is also the issue of some senior players like Danish Kaneria and Shoaib Malik not being cleared to play for the national team by the integrity committee of the Board.
Although Kaneria was in category A of the last contracts offered in 2010," the source added.
He said the players were also shocked to learn that half of their match fees for the second one-day international against New Zealand at Queenstown had been deducted as the match was abandoned due to rain.
"Only five overs were possible in the match and under clauses in the central contracts given to players last year if a match is not held completely they lose half of their match fees," the source said.
He said many of the players were not happy to learn about losing half their match fees but preferred to remain silent as they are leaving for Bangladesh for the World Cup.