No practice for Windies due to wet ground at JU campus
Kolkata: The West Indies team could not undergo training at the JU Campus at Salt Lake, the venue of their three-day practice game against Uttar Pradesh starting October 31, due to wet ground conditions.
The visiting players, however, did some net practice later at the nearby Sourav Ganguly`s Academy.
"It`s really frustrating to see both the outfield and the wickets in wet condition. We spoke to the authorities and hope it improves tomorrow," the West Indies operations manager Richie Richardson said.
The practice match, which was originally scheduled in Cuttack, was shifted to Kolkata because of heavy rains in the Odisha town but there was no respite here as well as Saturday`s record showers had left both Eden Gardens and JU Campus ground waterlogged.
While the Ranji Trophy Group B match between Bengal and Baroda at Eden Gardens was called off on the third day today without a ball being bowled, while the Windies were deprived of a practice at the JU Campus ground.
Even as the condition looked grim, the Cricket Association of Bengal is hopeful that the practice match would not be affected.
"We have two days` time, hope it gets better. There were some damp patches so we could not take the risk," CAB curator Prabir Mukherjee said.
Richardson, alongwith coach Ottis Gibson, had a look of the ground but as the condition seemed unplayable, their practice session was shifted to Sourav Ganguly`s Academy (the Videocon School of Cricket) in Salt Lake at the last minute.
Explosive West Indies all-rounder Chris Gayle was the cynosure of all eyes as local crowd gathered outside the gate to take a glimpse of the visiting players. The Windies players batted at the three nets as some local bowlers helped them in their first practice session after landing in India.
The opening Test of the two-match series will be held at the Eden Gardens from November 6-10. The visiting team will also play a three-match ODI series.
Meanwhile, a 15-member UP side led by Piyush Chawla arrived here for the match. Former India players Mohammad Kaif and RP Singh are also in the side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark