Nobody available to replace Tendulkar, says Vengsarkar
Mumbai: Former India skipper Dilip Vengsarkar on Thursday slammed suggestions in the media and views of another former captain Kapil Dev that Sachin Tendulkar should quit one-day cricket, saying that the master batsman needed no advice on this issue.
"There is no need to advise a legend to hang his boots when he himself, I am sure, will do so when the time is right for him to do so," said Vengsarkar, a former chief selector, in a statement issued here.
Kapil Dev had said yesterday that Sachin should have quit after the World Cup victory.
"In my opinion, he should have quit ODI on a high after India won the World Cup....But it`s for him to decide," Kapil had said.
Vengsarkar, said that even at the age of 39, Tendulkar was as fit as anyone in the Indian team.
He also said that Indian team`s bench strength was poor, and there is none to fill in the boots when great players like Tendulkar leave the scene.
"I really wonder whether India has a player of Sachin`s class in its midst at the moment. Our bench strength is not at all that solid whereby we can hope to fill the void left by some great players in time to come," he said.
"Sachin may be nearing 39 years, but I strongly feel that he is as fit and as charged up, if not more, than any of the players playing for India at present. His focus, dedication, and commitment to the team is unparallelled to say the least.”
"Sachin`s sheer presence can mould the future generation of Indian cricketers....the Mumbai team of yesteryears was strong because we had Test players playing club and inter-office cricket regularly in Mumbai. This helped upcoming, young cricketers immensely," Vengsarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt