Nobody has been dropped: Srikkanth
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Mumbai: Chairman of selection committee Krishnamachari Srikkanth said on Wednesday that the squad for the Asia cup has been selected purely on fitness grounds.
Speaking to the reporters after announcing the 15-member squad, Srikkanth said that nobody has been dropped from the team and the players have been selected after receiving fitness reports from the physiotherapist.
"Physiotherapist have advised that both Zaheer and Sehwag need to take rest as they have some injuries. It is an honest truth, the fact of the matter. I can assure you nobody has been dropped,"
“We have selected the best possible team for the Asia Cup after taking into account the fitness reports from the physiotherapist. We had a good talk with the team management and everything has been sorted out,” he said.
"There is no point asking the same questions in different way, because my answer will remain the same," a visibly irritated Srikkanth said.
Commentating on the dismal Australian tour, he said the team did perform badly in the Test but its performance in the ODI series has been pretty well.
“Yesterday’s performance was extraordinary. Chasing 321 runs in 40 overs is amazing."
"Last three years have been a golden period for Indian cricket. We achieved to rankings in Tests and won the world cup. This was followed by England tour where we were plagued with injuries."
Talking on the issue of handing vice captaincy to young Delhi batsman Virat Kohli, he said this has been done as the board considers him to be a future captain.
"We slightly have started to look towards the future and named Kohli as the vice-captain. The board feels Kohli can be a future captain and it is important to groom him,"
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP