Nottinghamshire defends signing Oz opener Cowan ahead of Ashes
Sydney: English county side Nottinghamshire has defended their decision to sign Australian opener Ed Cowan ahead of crucial Ashes this year.
Cowan will link up with the side next month for its first seven County Championship matches and eight limited-overs games.
The stint should allow him to acclimatize to English conditions before the Ashes starts at Trent Bridge, Nottinghamshire`s home ground, on July 10.
Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mick Newell said Cowan`s recruitment might not be perfect from England`s perspective but its good for their team.
Newell added he could understand if England board is not that thrilled about it but he was looking for a good-quality opening batsman, adding the Indian Premier League (IPL) is on and a lot of good-quality opening batsmen are in the IPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon