Nottinghamshire defends signing Oz opener Cowan ahead of Ashes
Sydney: English county side Nottinghamshire has defended their decision to sign Australian opener Ed Cowan ahead of crucial Ashes this year.
Cowan will link up with the side next month for its first seven County Championship matches and eight limited-overs games.
The stint should allow him to acclimatize to English conditions before the Ashes starts at Trent Bridge, Nottinghamshire`s home ground, on July 10.
Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mick Newell said Cowan`s recruitment might not be perfect from England`s perspective but its good for their team.
Newell added he could understand if England board is not that thrilled about it but he was looking for a good-quality opening batsman, adding the Indian Premier League (IPL) is on and a lot of good-quality opening batsmen are in the IPL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?