Now, Sachin Tendulkar becomes an MP
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar took oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha on Monday. He took the oath in the chamber of the Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari.
He became the first active sportsperson of the country to be nominated as the Rajya Sabha member.
Earlier, Sachin reached the parliament along with his wife Anjali Tendulkar and BCCI vice-president and parliamentary affairs minister Rajiv Shukla.
In a surprising move, Government had recommended Sachin’s name along with Bollywood actress Rekha and businesswoman Anu Aga as the nominated member of the Rajya Sabha. Though Rekha and Aga took oath in May, Sachin could not do so due to his IPL commitments.
Meanwhile, Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Sunday said that his senior team-mate Sachin Tendulkar will make a contribution as a Rajya Sabha member also.
"This (Rajya Sabha) is a new avenue for him and I am sure he will do well and contribute there also," Dhoni had told reporters.
World chess champion Viswanathan Anand also said that Sachin Tendulkar serving as Rajya Sabha member would be a big step in his life and wished the cricket legend to enjoy his new role.
"I hope he (Tendulkar) enjoys his role and he is able to do it very well. It`s a big step for him and I think he will enjoy it," Anand said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mobile, internet services restored in Jammu, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley
- GST expectations buoy equity markets; Sensex trading at 28,121
- Four Pakistan-backed terrorists killed, 1 apprehended in J&K's Naugam, encounter on
- National Museum gets new chief and he has an Ayodhya connection
- Solar Impulse 2 completes historic round-the-world trip: Incredible welcome for pilots in Abu Dhabi (Watch)