NZ must halt shameful slide in ODIs: Richardson
Auckland: Former New Zealand cricketer Mark Richardson believes changes are needed in the Black Cap squad to halt its embarrassing slide in one-day cricket.
The New Zealand team, which was thrashed 0-5 in the five match one-day series against India, has equalled their second worst one-day run of 11 straight defeats.
They were earlier beaten 0-4 in a five-match ODI series by Bangladesh in October.
The Black Caps’ last win came in the first match of a Sri Lanka tri-series, against India, on August 10.
“The past two ODI series have been embarrassing for our team. They’ve been comprehensively beaten by Bangladesh and now an under-strength Indian outfit. Their goodwill with the New Zealand public must be at an all-time low, but more disturbingly, they are taking from New Zealand Cricket, but giving nothing back in return for the game in this country,” Richardson wrote in an article for the New Zealand Herald.
“I hope they care and I hope all concerned care enough to make the changes required. There are no easy answers here, just hard work and intelligent decision-making,” he added.
The 39-year-old further said that key players like Jesse Ryder, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori and Ross Taylor who are crucial to the team’s success must find a way to become more consistent.
“They need to isolate the reasons for their lack of regular performance worthy of their clear potential and find the time to make the necessary changes,” Richardson said.
“McCullum and Taylor could win a World Cup final for New Zealand, but they will need to get us there first as well through regular contribution throughout the tournament,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise