NZC begins review of India debacle, rules out sacking Vettori
Wellington: The Test and ODI thrashing at the hands of India has prompted New Zealand Cricket to start a review of the team’s performance but the body has ruled out sacking captain Daniel Vettori.
NZC chief executive Justin Vaughan said the 0-5 ODI loss after a 0-1 Test defeat to India within weeks of an embarrassing one-day whitewash against Bangladesh has led to concern about the team’s progress just a couple of months before the World Cup.
But Vaughan dismissed suggestions that the inspirational Vettori, who has been leading the team since 2007 and even doubled up as coach for a brief period, would lose captaincy because of the twin debacles.
“I wouldn’t have thought so,” Vaughan told ‘New Zealand Herald’.
“We need to go through a proper review and talk about what options there are to help the side improve, but I’d be hard pressed to believe the captaincy would be one of those issues,” he said.
Vaughan is planning discussions with team manager Dave Currie, Vettori, batting coach and selector Mark Greatbatch and performance director Roger Mortimer.
Vaughan said although changes would be made to the team if necessary but given that the World Cup is not too far away, too much tinkering could backfire.
“If we can see a clear case for that (making changes) then it’s something we would have to consider. But it is getting pretty late in the piece,” Vaughan said.
“The danger is obviously that significant change could sometimes be extremely unsettling. It doesn’t mean to say you can’t do it, but you need to go in with your eyes open,” he added.
One of the options being considered is to offer a bigger role to former India coach John Wright, who is currently looking after the NZC’s High Performance program.
“There may have been some discussion on the benefit of him spending some time over there but then we realised it was pretty short notice so it didn’t go any further,” Vaughan said.
“But tapping into Wrighty’s knowledge should have been obvious. I understand people’s desire to see him attached to the Black Caps because the New Zealand public loves John, he’s had a proven international record and the Black Caps aren’t travelling very well at the moment.
“But we are comfortable with the process we went with around the appointment of Mark and the way the team is operating with Roger and the others,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!