NZC boss White apologises for Taylor captaincy crisis
Wellington: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive, David White has apologised for the chaotic system that stripped Ross Taylor of the Black Caps captaincy though he would like to see his board removed from that process in the future.
White came under fire yesterday as he announced that Brendon McCullum would replace Taylor at the helm of the New Zealand team.
NZC`s plan to keep Taylor involved as test captain and have McCullum handle the ODIs and T20s backfired when Taylor refused their offers and then pulled out of the tour of South Africa.
White`s only regret was that the last rights on Taylor`s captaincy were played out in the media while he was in Dubai, attending International Cricket Council meetings.
White laughed at suggestions he should resign over the mess that has left fans and former players highly critical of his organisation.
"I am not walking away from this job. People who know me, know I`m here to do a job. The one thing that is regrettable is that I was overseas for five days at an ICC conference and attending to some other very important NZC work,” Stuff.co.nz quoted White, as saying.
“Is it a fault of mine that this issue wasn`t addressed earlier? You could possibly say, yes. But as CEO I wanted to sit here in front of you and front you personally,” he added.
“I`m not embarrassed ... I`m just saying it has been a challenge with the timing issues. It has been difficult with myself being out of the country and I put my hand up for that. It takes time to work through these things,” he said.
White confirmed he had been in consultation with Hesson over the captaincy situation during the tour of Sri Lanka, and backed coach’s decision to alter the captaincy structure and the board had in turn approved that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video