Omar congratulates J&K team for reaching Ranji quarters
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday congratulated the state cricket team for reaching the quarterfinal stage of the Ranji Trophy cricket tournament for the first time ever.
"Congratulations to the J&K cricket team for reaching the quarters of the Ranji trophy. 1st time since 2000 so well done chaps," Abdullah said.
In a fantastic achievement, the Jammu and Kashmir cricket team today qualified for Ranji Trophy quarterfinals for the first time since 2000, following a draw against Tripura in their final Group C league match at Agartala.
In 2000, Jammu and Kashmir had reached the knock-out stage of the Ranji Trophy for the first time by making it to the pre-quarterfinals.
The J&K team had taken the first innings lead and the draw was an expected result in Agartala. With three points from the tie, J&K ended tied on 28 points with Goa but qualified on the basis of their marginally better points quotient.
J&K had a quotient of 1.006 as against Goa`s 1.005 after ending the fourth and final day at 87 for two while chasing 228.
J&K will play against Punjab at Baroda from January 8.
Union minsiter and J&K Cricket Association president Farooq Abdullah complimented the state cricket team for reaching the last-eight for the first time.
"This is the hard work of the boys and able guidance coach Bishan Singh Bedi," Abdullah said.
He expressed hope that the boys would be doing good job in the quarter-final against Punjab at the Moti Baug ground in Baroda from January 8-12.
In his message to J&K Ranji team captain Parveez Rasool, Farooq Abdullah said, "I am very happy to know that our team has qualified for the quarterfinal in Ranji Trophy tournament.
"I congratulate you (Rasool) and other members of the team for this historic achievement," Abdullah said.
"I hope and pray for your success in forthcoming matches as well. My good wishes (to you)," he said.
Abdullah also congratulated JKCA Working Committee members, coaches and support staff on the success of the state cricket team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video