One-day cricket losing fans to T20 games Down Under
Sydney: One-day internationals in Australia will be witnessing record low visitors as cricket fans now prefer to watch Twenty20 games. Coming in the backdrop of the upcoming 2015 World Cup, which will be hosted by both Australia and New Zealand, Australia`s imminent T20 matches against Sri Lanka at ANZ Stadium and at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) will see twice as many fans as they were in the recent ODIs.
About 45,000 visitors are expected at the ANZ Stadium and up to 50,000 at the MCG, the report adds. The best crowd for a 50-over game was seen in the recently finished ODIs against Sri Lanka, which took place at the MCG, with 27,000 visitors. This figure was almost 20, 000 less than the domestic Big Bash game between the Melbourne Stars and the Melbourne Renegades. About 21,000 fans attended the T20 domestic Sydney Thunder versus Sydney Sixers match at ANZ in comparison to the 22,000 present at the doomed ODI against Sri Lanka at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Perth is the only state capital to be hosting an ODI game, starting with the first two matches against West Indies in the five-game series. However, World Cup organising committee chief executive John Harnden takes hope from the fact that one-day cricket still has good rates, with each match attracting almost a million viewers on Channel Nine. Harnden added that an international event like the World Cup will help in bringing back the fans to one-day cricket, due to the prestige and context centered on the game. Claiming that the T20 format will always impact Test and one-day cricket, Harnden said that the World Cup committee needed to work together with Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket for attracting crowds to the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway