Oz cricketers strike fear recedes after `positive` pay talks
Sydney: The prospect of Australia’s cricketers going on strike in England has receded after `productive negotiations between the players and Cricket Australia over their ongoing pay dispute.
Both CA and the Australian Cricketers` Association were last night guarded about the finer details of the meeting but players` boss Paul Marsh said both parties were "definitely" closer to a resolution following the discussions.
CA`s cricket manager Pat Howard and Marsh will today brief their respective boards but the threat of a player strike appears to have eased.
"We had a productive meeting today, we made a lot of progress, but we`re at a point now where our respective boards need to consider where we`re at," Marsh told the Sydney Morning Herald.
Marsh was wary when asked about the likelihood of players taking industrial action if an agreement could not be reached before the June 30 deadline.
"[I] don`t want to go down this path today. [It`s] better not to go down there. Our priority is to try and get a deal done before June 30," Marsh said.
The meeting came as captain Michael Clarke declared that the last thing any players wanted to do was strike.
CA is pushing for a change to the revenue pool from which the players currently receive 26 per cent, and wants a new performance-based pay deal in line with recommendations from last year`s sweeping Argus review of Australian cricket.
A CA spokesman said that the current contracting model, where deals are awarded to whom the selectors deem are the 25 best players in the country, was based on "peer relativity".