Oz legend Border urges Warner to practice ‘leg-spinners’ ahead of India tour
Sydney: Former Australia captain Allan Border has urged swashbuckling opening batsman David Warner to practice bowling leg-spin in the nets ahead of crucial tour to India.
After clinching the Test series against Sri Lanka with a match still left to be played in Sydney, Australia has already started planning for their four-match Test series against India, which would be played on spin-friendly sub-continental wickets, News.com.au reports.
England have just beaten India on foreign soil by having two finger spinners in off-spinner Graeme Swann and left-arm spinner Monty Panesar who turn the ball in different directions, and Australia is likely to give itself this option.
Swann (20 wickets at 25) and Panesar (17 at 25) were the standout slow men in the series and proved you can beat India at their own slow-bowling game if your spinners are good enough.
Michael Beer is the favourite ahead of Steve O`Keefe to go as a left-arm finger spinner and the selectors then must decide whether they will send an off-spinning all-rounder such as likely Sydney Test debutant Glenn Maxwell or a young leg-spinner such as Queensland`s Cameron Boyce.
However, Border believes Warner needs to be encouraged to bowl his frisky part-time wrist spin, which has yielded four wickets in his 14-Test career.
Warner is not blessed with the finger skills of legend Shane Warne, but he does give the ball a tweak and, like many part-timers, can test the nerve of frontline batsmen simply because they fear getting out to him.
Border said even if Warner bowls for half an hour or hour during a Test match, he has a chance to surprise the batsmen with an odd good ball since most batters are scared of getting out to a part timer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Arvind Kejriwal lauds PM Narendra Modi's Cabinet Minister Suresh Prabhu – Know why
- OMG: Akshay Kumar's bodyguard punches a fan – Details inside
- SHOCKING! Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar's sons involved in major controversy in Scotland - Read full story
- Kerala Assembly Election 2016: Arun Jaitley to release NDA's vision document today
- US wants Pakistan to have dialogue with neighbours