Oz legend Border urges Warner to practice ‘leg-spinners’ ahead of India tour
Sydney: Former Australia captain Allan Border has urged swashbuckling opening batsman David Warner to practice bowling leg-spin in the nets ahead of crucial tour to India.
After clinching the Test series against Sri Lanka with a match still left to be played in Sydney, Australia has already started planning for their four-match Test series against India, which would be played on spin-friendly sub-continental wickets, News.com.au reports.
England have just beaten India on foreign soil by having two finger spinners in off-spinner Graeme Swann and left-arm spinner Monty Panesar who turn the ball in different directions, and Australia is likely to give itself this option.
Swann (20 wickets at 25) and Panesar (17 at 25) were the standout slow men in the series and proved you can beat India at their own slow-bowling game if your spinners are good enough.
Michael Beer is the favourite ahead of Steve O`Keefe to go as a left-arm finger spinner and the selectors then must decide whether they will send an off-spinning all-rounder such as likely Sydney Test debutant Glenn Maxwell or a young leg-spinner such as Queensland`s Cameron Boyce.
However, Border believes Warner needs to be encouraged to bowl his frisky part-time wrist spin, which has yielded four wickets in his 14-Test career.
Warner is not blessed with the finger skills of legend Shane Warne, but he does give the ball a tweak and, like many part-timers, can test the nerve of frontline batsmen simply because they fear getting out to him.
Border said even if Warner bowls for half an hour or hour during a Test match, he has a chance to surprise the batsmen with an odd good ball since most batters are scared of getting out to a part timer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi