Oz media calls Fletcher `hypocrite` on DRS
Melbourne: Seething after the Australian cricket team suffered a couple of setbacks in the first Test because of India`s refusal to have the Decision Review System, the media Down Under trained its guns on the visiting team`s coach, Duncan Fletcher, who has supported the DRS in the past.
Mike Hussey (0) and Ed Cowan (68) fell to controversial decisions on the opening day today leaving Australia on shaky grounds at 277 for six.
India`s refusal to use DRS meant there were no referrals for these decisions and Fletcher, who had been a vocal supporter of DRS during his coaching stint with England, drew the ire of an agitated media.
"Duncan Fletcher hates hypocrites. The Indian coach must have trouble looking at himself in the mirror. For well over a decade, Fletcher has been a strong advocate for using technology to enhance umpiring decisions," said `The Herald Sun`.
"Now he is a mute stooge as the flat earthers who run Indian cricket refuse to embrace the umpire decision review system (DRS) for the four-Test series, beginning in Melbourne today," it added.
In his book -- `Behind the Shades` -- Fletcher has stated that he was annoyed when the ECB did not consult him when the DRS was trialled in county cricket during 2007.
"The introduction of this referral system actually helped in my eventual resignation from the England job," Fletcher had written.
"I was already feeling that the ECB was showing me no support during the World Cup in 2007 but it really miffed me that nobody spoke to me about this system. It was my idea after all, and nothing had changed since I first thought of it in Western Province in 1995."
India, a staunch opposer of the system, had refused to allow the DRS` usage despite Cricket Australia being in favour of it. The ICC rules say that the system can be used only if both the Boards consent to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional