Oz media calls Fletcher `hypocrite` on DRS
Melbourne: Seething after the Australian cricket team suffered a couple of setbacks in the first Test because of India`s refusal to have the Decision Review System, the media Down Under trained its guns on the visiting team`s coach, Duncan Fletcher, who has supported the DRS in the past.
Mike Hussey (0) and Ed Cowan (68) fell to controversial decisions on the opening day today leaving Australia on shaky grounds at 277 for six.
India`s refusal to use DRS meant there were no referrals for these decisions and Fletcher, who had been a vocal supporter of DRS during his coaching stint with England, drew the ire of an agitated media.
"Duncan Fletcher hates hypocrites. The Indian coach must have trouble looking at himself in the mirror. For well over a decade, Fletcher has been a strong advocate for using technology to enhance umpiring decisions," said `The Herald Sun`.
"Now he is a mute stooge as the flat earthers who run Indian cricket refuse to embrace the umpire decision review system (DRS) for the four-Test series, beginning in Melbourne today," it added.
In his book -- `Behind the Shades` -- Fletcher has stated that he was annoyed when the ECB did not consult him when the DRS was trialled in county cricket during 2007.
"The introduction of this referral system actually helped in my eventual resignation from the England job," Fletcher had written.
"I was already feeling that the ECB was showing me no support during the World Cup in 2007 but it really miffed me that nobody spoke to me about this system. It was my idea after all, and nothing had changed since I first thought of it in Western Province in 1995."
India, a staunch opposer of the system, had refused to allow the DRS` usage despite Cricket Australia being in favour of it. The ICC rules say that the system can be used only if both the Boards consent to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan