Oz media says `controversial` Warner `in serious danger` of jeopardizing Ashes hopes
Sydney: Controversial Australian opener David Warner is in serious danger of jeopardizing his future for the Ashes, despite being spared an early flight home from England, according to the Australian media.
The opener on Thursday was fined 11,500 dollars and suspended until the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge, starting on July 10, over a nightclub altercation in which he took a swing at England batsman Joe Root.
Stating that Warner`s `glancing blow` to the chin of Root has done more damage to the Australian, despite the dispute between the pair being settled with an apologetic text message, the report said that Warner is facing the very real prospect of his time on the sidelines being extended throughout the English summer via selection rather than sanction.
Stating the Australian was already under pressure to justify his place at the top of the order, the report also said that as Warner has etched his name back in the bad books of Cricket Australia (CA), he might not even get that chance, adding that issue for Warner will be forcing his way into an Australian batting order without facing a single ball in the warm-up tour games, against Somerset and Worcestershire.
With four other openers - Ed Cowan, Chris Rogers, Shane Watson and Phillip Hughes - in the Australian squad, there had already been suggestions Warner might have to be shifted down the order, although the report added that even such a move seemed at lengthening odds for Warner, with selectors having to pick him for the Ashes opener without a practice match under his belt.
Warner, who is banned from the remainder of the ICC Champions Trophy, has also been ruled out from playing in either of Australia A`s final two matches against Ireland and Gloucestershire, but officials are in the process of formulating a pre- Ashes plan for him that will include training and possibly county or even local matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued