Oz national selector Inverarity admits spin depth ‘serious issue’ ahead of India tour
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) chairman of selectors, John Inverarity has admitted lack of spin bowling talent in the Test squad is a serious issue ahead of team’s difficult tour of India next month.
Off spinner Nathan Lyon is certain to be on the flight to Delhi when an advance group of players, who heads to the subcontinent in February for an early tour match and to adjust to untried conditions, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
England`s Monty Panesar and Graeme Swann were central to a 2-1 series victory over India, completed in Nagpur in December, and Australia knows spin could be essential to its prospects over four Tests in Delhi, Mohali, Hyderabad and Chennai.
Lyon is the team`s leading spinner, but the right-arm orthodox has been unconvincing over the 3-0 series whitewash against Sri Lanka.
There is no standout back up to Lyon, with the second most favoured, Victoria`s Jon Holland, marginalized after a shoulder operation.
Left-arm spinner Michael Beer, who played the last of his two Tests at Port of Spain last April, will be one contender considered, while the 12th man in Sydney, Glenn Maxwell, is also in selectors`` sights for India.
Inverarity said they wish to have a greater depth of quality spin bowlers than we have right now, but added that they got a pretty clear direction of where they are going, in terms of India and beyond.
Inverarity said there are two or three players who they are considering to back up Lyon for the India tour.
By choosing four quicks and Lyon for the third Test against Sri Lanka at the SCG, Australian selectors lost the opportunity to trial Maxwell, after picking the Victorian all-rounder to replace the injured Shane Watson in the squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark