Oz players spoilt and mollycoddled: Former players
Melbourne: Australian cricketers are “spoilt and mollycoddled”, feel ex-players, who want former captain Mark Taylor to chair a crisis summit to find a way out of the slump that has engulfed the national team.
Former Test wicketkeeper Steve Rixon said Australia’s continuing dismal performances, the most recent being the innings and 71 runs defeat to England in the second Ashes
Test, is unacceptable.
“We’ve been spoilt and things have come too easy for us. We’ve not had to do the hard yards,” Rixon said.
“There’s no question we need a summit. We want Australian cricket to get back on top and now it’s become frustrating. Mark Taylor would be perfect to oversee it (a summit). He’s got a great cricket brain, and I’d have people like Steve Waugh.
“We need to have a look at our whole brand of cricket, from Test to one-day and Twenty20,” he was quoted as saying by ‘The Herald Sun’.
Rixon said fresh planning is needed urgently to arrest the slide.
“We need a think tank to come in at the end of this summer where we get past and current players and even some business people to come up with a blueprint on how to rebuild our game.
“To think we are fifth on the (ICC) table – that’s unacceptable. We should be in the top three. We need to start at the top with our selectors and look at every facet of our cricket.”
Former Test selector John Benaud also trained his guns on the players and said they are too pampered.
“There’s got to be more hangers-on in the Australian cricket team now than there are players,” he said.
“Australia’s cricketers are the most mollycoddled bunch. These guys need match practice, not blokes with video cameras filming players at training. They need good, hard work in the middle,” he added.
The views were echoed by former Test skipper Kim Hughes.
“We’ve become a bit precious in the way we’re treating our players. We’re wrapping blokes up in cotton wool. Resting a guy like Mitchell Johnson from the WA side (playing
Queensland in the Sheffield Shield) is just mind-boggling,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information