Oz quick Bird hopes daunting record at MCG would help earn first baggy green
Sydney: Australia fast bowler Jackson hopes his overwhelming record at the Melbourne Cricket Ground will help him earn a Boxing Day debut ahead of left-arm pace man Mitchell Johnson.
Bird, who moved from NSW to Tasmania two years ago because Pat Cummins and Trent Copeland were blocking his path to state selection, was elevated to the Test squad for the injured Ben Hilfenhaus and will duel with Johnson to face Sri Lanka on Boxing Day.
The right-arm quick believes his hopes hinge on whether the selectors want a like-for-like replacement for Hilfenhaus or are happy to deploy two left-arm pace men, Johnson and Mitchell Starc, against Sri Lanka.
“Ben is more of a swing bowler where I tend to hit the wicket a bit more. It depends what the selectors want to do in terms of playing two left-armers or one left-armer so I guess it will be the best eleven players on the day and if I get the chance hopefully I can repay the faith the selectors have shown in me,” the Age quoted Bird, as saying.
“I certainly don`t bowl as fast as Mitchell Johnson does. Mitch is a great bowler and I suppose whoever gets the nod between me and him will hopefully do a good job,” he added.
Bird has claimed 87 wickets in his first 17 first-class games and grasped a match haul of 10-96 at the MCG last summer, and he took another four wickets against Victoria last month.
“The MCG is a great place to play, there`s always a little bit in the wicket for the fast bowlers and I do enjoy playing here.
I`ve been in communication with the selectors for the last couple of Test matches and unfortunately when Ben went down I thought I might be a chance,” Bird said.
“It would be a pretty amazing dream to debut on Boxing Day at the MCG so I`m looking forward to it if I get the chance,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks