Oz selectors give Wade nod over veteran Haddin for Gabba Test
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) has named wicketkeeper Matthew Wade ignoring veteran Brad Haddin for the first Test match against South Africa at Gabba, starting on November 9,
Australia`s 12-man squad includes an expected top-six batting lineup, with Ed Cowan to open with David Warner, Shane Watson at No.3, the 165-Test veteran Ricky Ponting at No.4 followed by skipper Michael Clarke and another veteran, 37-year-old Mike Hussey.
The 43-Test veteran Haddin`s last appearance in the baggy green was in Adelaide against India in January 2012 before missing the West Indies tour in April for family reasons.
"As is widely known Brad returned to Australia early in the tour due to family circumstances and as a consequence Matthew was our Test `keeper for the three Test matches," John Inverarity was quoted as saying by a news agency.
"He kept and batted very well and made a match-defining brilliant century in the second innings of the third and final Test against West Indies,” he said.
Wade, 24, made his debut in Barbados on April 7 and posted a century in the third Test in Dominica. The Hobart-born Wade`s 106 was the only century by an Australian player in the series.
Inverarity`s panel of five selectors, which includes skipper Clarke and coach Mickey Arthur, are believed to be considering an all-pace attack if the Gabba shows signs of being a green-top pitch.
Spinner Nathan Lyon has been included in the squad with pace bowlers Ben Hilfenhaus, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video