Oz to consult Warne to hasten Agar`s `spin` development ahead of Old Trafford Test
Sydney: Australian coach Darren Lehmann has said that spin legend Shane Warne will be consulted to accelerate the development of teenaged Ashes debutant Ashton Agar before this week`s third Test at Old Trafford.
Warne might expect a call from Lehmann after Agar caused only occasional trouble for Sussex in Australia`s tour match at Hove, which followed his unhappy experience at Lord`s, where he went wicketless and had no real impact as compared to England`s rising star Joe Root and Graeme Swann.
Although former wicketkeeper Steve Rixon is officially the spinning coach, but his main responsibility is fielding, for which Lehmann said that they would turn to Warne for advice, without a proper spin-bowling technician on the Australian staff.
Stating that they would be mad not to use Warne and discuss spin bowling with him, Lehmann further said that they need Warne to talk more about the mental side of things rather than the technical side, although he added that they would keep the views channeled as Agar is only 19.
A report mentioned that although Agar had enjoyed a history-making Test debut with the bat at Trent Bridge, narrowly missing an incredible 100 at No. 11, he needed to work on his primary function, which is bowling.
However, Lehmann defended Agar amid suggestions that Australia was ready to turn to the more seasoned Nathan Lyon, or even play both on a dry deck at Old Trafford, saying that even though Agar is young, he has plenty of room for improvement, like Lyon, who is however, the more experienced player.
Stating that he was impressed with the way Agar bowled at Nottingham, Lehmann also said that even though he had a problem with his hip in the second Test match, he managed to struggle through that, although the coach added that Agar is aware that he did not bowl well enough and needed to get back to form as fast as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials