Paes-Bhupathi reaches quarterfinals of US Open
New York: Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi advanced to the quarterfinals of the men`s doubles competition of the US Open with a straight-set victory over compatriot Somdev Devvarman and his Filipino partner Treat Conrad Huey in an almost all-Indian clash.
The fourth seeded Indian pair prevailed over Somdev and Treat 6-4, 7-5 in a pre-quarterfinal clash that lasted for an hour and 32 minutes here.
Paes and Bhupathi and will now face sixth seeded Polish pair of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski in the quarterfinals.
Fyrstenberg and Matkowski defeated the British duo of Jaime Delgado and Jonathan Marray 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-3 to enter the last eight.
Somdev and Treat had their moments in the game as the duo troubled the Indian pair with their aces but a series of unforced errors and failure to convert as many as five breakpoints put paid to their hopes.
The Indian express, on the other hand, stayed away from unforced errors and converted two break points out of the seven that came their way. They also hit 37 winners compared to the 30 sent down by Somdev and Treat.
Another Indian, Rohan Bopanna and his Pakistani partner Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi are also in the quarterfinals and will take on unseeded British pair of Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins for a place in the semis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015