Paes in mixed doubles QFs, Bopanna also advances
New York: Leander Paes entered the mixed doubles quarterfinals while Rohan Bopanna was through to the men`s doubles third round on a reasonably good day for the Indians in the US Open.
Paes and his Russian partner Elena Vesnina, seeded seventh, defeated the Taipei-Polish pair of Yung-Jan Chan and Mariusz Fyrstenberg 6-2, 6-7 (7), 1-0 (4).
They will now take on the winner of the match between the Belarussian-Polish combine of Olga Govortsova and Marcin Matkowski and Natalie Grandin and Jean-Julien Rojer.
In men`s doubles, Bopanna and his Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi got the better of the American-German team of James Cerretani and Philipp Marx 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4).
The fifth-seeded Indo-Pakistani pair will now be up against the winner of the match between Columbians Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah and the Australian-Belarussian combination of Paul Hanley and Dick Norman.
However, there was disappointment for Bopanna in the mixed doubles event.
The Indian and his American partner Vania King, seeded fifth, lost 6-7 (1), 6-4, 0-1 (7) to the Czech-German pair of Barbora Zahlavova Strycova and Philipp Petzschner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know