Paes in mixed doubles QFs, Bopanna also advances
New York: Leander Paes entered the mixed doubles quarterfinals while Rohan Bopanna was through to the men`s doubles third round on a reasonably good day for the Indians in the US Open.
Paes and his Russian partner Elena Vesnina, seeded seventh, defeated the Taipei-Polish pair of Yung-Jan Chan and Mariusz Fyrstenberg 6-2, 6-7 (7), 1-0 (4).
They will now take on the winner of the match between the Belarussian-Polish combine of Olga Govortsova and Marcin Matkowski and Natalie Grandin and Jean-Julien Rojer.
In men`s doubles, Bopanna and his Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi got the better of the American-German team of James Cerretani and Philipp Marx 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4).
The fifth-seeded Indo-Pakistani pair will now be up against the winner of the match between Columbians Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah and the Australian-Belarussian combination of Paul Hanley and Dick Norman.
However, there was disappointment for Bopanna in the mixed doubles event.
The Indian and his American partner Vania King, seeded fifth, lost 6-7 (1), 6-4, 0-1 (7) to the Czech-German pair of Barbora Zahlavova Strycova and Philipp Petzschner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok