Paes in mixed doubles QFs, Bopanna also advances
New York: Leander Paes entered the mixed doubles quarterfinals while Rohan Bopanna was through to the men`s doubles third round on a reasonably good day for the Indians in the US Open.
Paes and his Russian partner Elena Vesnina, seeded seventh, defeated the Taipei-Polish pair of Yung-Jan Chan and Mariusz Fyrstenberg 6-2, 6-7 (7), 1-0 (4).
They will now take on the winner of the match between the Belarussian-Polish combine of Olga Govortsova and Marcin Matkowski and Natalie Grandin and Jean-Julien Rojer.
In men`s doubles, Bopanna and his Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi got the better of the American-German team of James Cerretani and Philipp Marx 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4).
The fifth-seeded Indo-Pakistani pair will now be up against the winner of the match between Columbians Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah and the Australian-Belarussian combination of Paul Hanley and Dick Norman.
However, there was disappointment for Bopanna in the mixed doubles event.
The Indian and his American partner Vania King, seeded fifth, lost 6-7 (1), 6-4, 0-1 (7) to the Czech-German pair of Barbora Zahlavova Strycova and Philipp Petzschner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack