Pak to depend on SL Premier League for Australia ``home`` series preparation
Karachi: The Pakistan team management has decided against organising a training camp ahead of the home series against Australia in the UAE due to the cricketers`` participation in the inaugural edition of the Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) from August 10.
Team manager Naveed Akram Cheema said that a brief conditioning camp might be held just to assemble the available players before Eid.
The SLPL has signed 13 Pakistan players and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) gave its approval as part of the deal with the Sri Lanka board, which will in return send its cricketers for the planned Pakistan Premier League.
Over half a dozen players expected to be the part of Pakistan``s squads against Australia will be busy in the league until the UAE tour that comprises three One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and as many Twenty20s from August 28 to September 10.
Pakistan has already announced its squad for the Twenty20 series while the selectors are expected to name the ODI squad early next month. Shahid Afridi, Saeed Ajmal, Misbah-ul-Haq, Shoaib Malik, Umar Akmal and Umer Gul are among the players who will feature in the league in Sri Lanka.
Meanwhile, Cheema hoped the decision not to hold a training camp will not have any adverse effect on the high profile series.
"The league will be good preparations for the tough series. Most of our players will be getting a lot of match practice due to it. That is better than any training camp," Cheema said.
"We are, however, planning a three-day camp before Eid for conditioning purposes. The available players will attend the camp and will be given anti-corruption and anti-doping lectures. But the plan will be finalised after coach Dav Whatmore``s return from vacations," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP