Pak vs Sri Lanka, Colombo Test: Hafeez finds form with fifth ton
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Colombo: At the end of the first days play, Pakistan were in a commanding position at 334/1. The day was dominated by Mohammad Hafeez who scored his fifth Test ton and was unbeaten on 172.
Hafeez and Azhar Ali (92*) have so far added unbeaten 256 runs for the second wicket.
Live Updates of the match:
Pakistan are in solid position as a result of a brilliant ton from Mohammad Hafeez. He has added an unbeaten century-run partnership with Azhar Ali. Hafeez batting on 129, Azhar batting on 66.
Day 1, Lunch: Opener Taufeeq Umar scored a quickfire 65 with the help of 12 fours to make the first session in favour of Pakistan. Pakistan reached 94/1 when lunch was taken with Mohammad Hafeez was playing on a patient 20 while Azhar Ali remained not out on 8.
Umar, who looked all set to make a big score, was removed by medium pacer Angelo Mathews after the batsman played some stunning shots during the morning session on the first day.
Sri Lankan bowlers, especially the quickies, looked listless on a lifeless pitch at Sinhalese Sports Club.
Pakistan openers-Taufeeq Umar and Mohammad Hafeez started well after Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene won the toss and decided to send the tourists into bat first in the second Test at Colombo on Saturday.
Sri Lanka, leading the three-match series 1-0, made no changes in their side which played the first Test at Galle.
Pakistan, on the other hand, made two changes. Regular skipper Misbah-ul-Haq, who was suspended due to slow over rate of his team, came back in place of Mohammad Ayub, who made his debut in Galle.
The second change was an unfortunate one as pace bowler Umar Gul had to be replaced by Aizaz Cheema because the former suffered an ankle injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city