Pakistan appoints new bowling coach
Islamabad: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has confirmed the appointment of former fast bowler Muhammad Akram as the new bowling coach of the national team for one year.
"We have appointed Akram as our bowling coach for a period of one year after short-listing two candidates," PCB official Intikhab Alam said Friday.
"Akram will join the squad in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for the series against Australia that will start Aug 28," said Alam.
Alam was part of the three-member committee that was assigned the task to search for a bowling coach.
England`s Stuart Barnes was also among the candidates but was ignored after he expressed his unavailability for the team`s upcoming series.
The 37-year-old replaced former bowling coach Aaqib Javed, who quit the post earlier this year to coach the UAE team.
Akram was a former right-arm pacer and has experience of domestic, international and county cricket. During his 15-year-long first-class career he played 125 matches and picked up 415 wickets. He also played nine Test matches and 23 One-day Internationals for Pakistan between 1995 and 2001. He also represented English clubs Northamptonshire, Essex, Sussex and Surrey.
Pakistan had already appointed Australian Dav Whatmore as head coach in March along with Julian Fountain as the fielding coach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM