Pakistan board upholds Kaneria`s life ban
Lahore: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Friday upheld leg-spinner Danish Kaneria`s life ban for spot fixing during the 2009 English County season, effectively putting an end to his cricketing career.
The 32-year-old lost his appeal Tuesday against the England and Wales Cricket Board`s (ECB) ban on him.
"PCB has been made aware of the decision of Appeal Panel of the Cricket Discipline Commission of England and Wales Cricket Board, which upheld the life ban imposed on Mr. Danish Kaneria. Mr Kaneria was duly represented in the proceedings through a legal counsel of his choice and no question with regard to jurisdiction, composition, procedure or fairness of the Appeal Panel was raised by Mr Kaneria`s counsel," said the statement.
"Under ICC Anti-Corruption Code and PCB`s Anti-Corruption Code (Article-9), PCB is bound to recognise, respect and enforce the ban in Pakistan, meaning this ban is also being enforced by PCB in Pakistan. Therefore, Mr. Danish Kaneria is suspended for life from any involvement in the playing, organisation or administration of cricket in any form or manner under the jurisdiction of PCB."
The former Pakistani spinner was banned by the ECB June 22, 2012, after being found guilty in the spot fixing scandal also involving English cricketer Mervyn Westfield, who admitted his role in the scandal and was given a prison sentence.
The 32-year-old Kaneria was Pakistan`s most successful Test spinner and the fourth-highest wicket-taker for his country with 261 scalps in 61 Tests, putting him behind only Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Imran Khan.
"PCB hopes Mr Kaneria will reflect on his past conduct and will now initiate efforts towards redemption and rehabilitation," added the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened