Pakistan can be world`s number one, says coach
Abu Dhabi: Pakistan cricket coach Mohsin Khan on Sunday expressed confidence his side can become the world`s number one ranked team after humbling England in the second Test to claim victory in the series.
"I think this team has the capacity to become the world`s best team. Our target should be to gradually come in the top three in both Tests and one-day, and then gradually go to world number one," Khan told a news agency.
Khan`s comments came a day after Pakistan crushed England by 72 runs in the second Test on the back of excellent performances from spinners Abdul Rehman (6-25) and Saeed Ajmal (3-22), restricting the rivals to a low total of 72.
Pakistan now enjoy an unassailable 2-0 lead over England, the current world number one Test team, ahead of the third and final Test in Dubai starting February 3. They won the first Test by ten wickets, also in Dubai.
Khan, however, warned that Pakistan need to perform well outside the subcontinent to rise from their current place of fifth in the rankings.
"God willing, it can done gradually and hopefully we will touch the top but for that we have to perform well in other parts of the world (England, Australia and South Africa), so that means we have to prove a lot," said 56-year-old Khan, a former opener.
Khan said he was not surprisd by England`s capitulation against spin in both the Tests.
"I think our spinners bowled very well. When we go to England our batsmen struggle against swing and here they struggle against spin, but credit to our spinners as they exploited weaknesses and it needs skill to exploit rivals` weakness," said Khan.
Khan praised captain Misbah-ul Haq.
"Misbah is a very good captain and I have a good rapport with him. He gives me respect as coach and as his senior and I give him respect as captain so it's a mutual thing.
"We make gameplan and he respects my experience and as coach it is my duty to support him," said Khan of Misbah who took over in October 2010.
Since then Pakistan have won eight times in 14 Tests, losing only once. Pakistan have also won three series in a row under Khan.
Khan believes his current team ooze talent.
"When I came as coach I knew that this team had talent in abundance so my first priority was to make them mentally and physically strong and that was on display when Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq batted and carried us to that target," said Khan.
Ali (68) and Shafiq (43) shared a 88-run stand for the fifth wicket in Pakistan's second knock after they were reeling at 54-4.
"We won a lost match on Saturday, but the kind of belief and self confidence this team has shown is great," said Khan.
"I am proud of my team and the moment when we won and then players lifted me and celebrated the win, that was a joy to behold and any praise is less for that team spirit and the unity in joy.
"That was the biggest gift I can have from my players. Our actions are louder than words and I hope that this good work goes on and on."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt