Pakistan court orders appointment of interim board chief
Karachi: A Pakistani court on Wednesday ordered the government to appoint an interim head of the cricket board, after the current chairman was suspended over a legal challenge to his election.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Zaka Ashraf was ordered to halt work last month amid a row over his election, which was criticised in some quarters as unfairly influenced by President Asif Ali Zardari, the board`s patron.
Taffazul Rizvi, legal adviser for PCB, said the Islamabad High Court had upheld Ashraf`s suspension and ordered the authorities to appoint an interim chairman to represent Pakistan at a meeting of the sport`s world governing body.
"The court has directed the Inter-Provincial Committee (looking after sports affairs in Pakistan) to appoint an interim chairman who could represent PCB in ICC annual meeting next week," Rizvi said.
Ashraf, 60, became the first-ever elected chairman of the PCB last month under a new constitution demanded by the International Cricket Council (ICC) to reduce political interference.
But for the vote Zardari nominated Ashraf -- whom he had appointed as chairman in 2011 under the old system deemed unacceptable by the ICC -- and only one other candidate, former Lahore Stock Exchange chairman Aftab Ahmad.
Ashraf`s nomination was widely criticised by former players and officials because it was seen as politically motivated, with the cricket head coming from the same party as the president, and former Pakistan Army cricket coach Ahmed Nadeem Sadal challenged it in the courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened