Pakistan court orders appointment of interim board chief
Karachi: A Pakistani court on Wednesday ordered the government to appoint an interim head of the cricket board, after the current chairman was suspended over a legal challenge to his election.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Zaka Ashraf was ordered to halt work last month amid a row over his election, which was criticised in some quarters as unfairly influenced by President Asif Ali Zardari, the board`s patron.
Taffazul Rizvi, legal adviser for PCB, said the Islamabad High Court had upheld Ashraf`s suspension and ordered the authorities to appoint an interim chairman to represent Pakistan at a meeting of the sport`s world governing body.
"The court has directed the Inter-Provincial Committee (looking after sports affairs in Pakistan) to appoint an interim chairman who could represent PCB in ICC annual meeting next week," Rizvi said.
Ashraf, 60, became the first-ever elected chairman of the PCB last month under a new constitution demanded by the International Cricket Council (ICC) to reduce political interference.
But for the vote Zardari nominated Ashraf -- whom he had appointed as chairman in 2011 under the old system deemed unacceptable by the ICC -- and only one other candidate, former Lahore Stock Exchange chairman Aftab Ahmad.
Ashraf`s nomination was widely criticised by former players and officials because it was seen as politically motivated, with the cricket head coming from the same party as the president, and former Pakistan Army cricket coach Ahmed Nadeem Sadal challenged it in the courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway