Pakistan court orders appointment of interim board chief
Karachi: A Pakistani court on Wednesday ordered the government to appoint an interim head of the cricket board, after the current chairman was suspended over a legal challenge to his election.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Zaka Ashraf was ordered to halt work last month amid a row over his election, which was criticised in some quarters as unfairly influenced by President Asif Ali Zardari, the board`s patron.
Taffazul Rizvi, legal adviser for PCB, said the Islamabad High Court had upheld Ashraf`s suspension and ordered the authorities to appoint an interim chairman to represent Pakistan at a meeting of the sport`s world governing body.
"The court has directed the Inter-Provincial Committee (looking after sports affairs in Pakistan) to appoint an interim chairman who could represent PCB in ICC annual meeting next week," Rizvi said.
Ashraf, 60, became the first-ever elected chairman of the PCB last month under a new constitution demanded by the International Cricket Council (ICC) to reduce political interference.
But for the vote Zardari nominated Ashraf -- whom he had appointed as chairman in 2011 under the old system deemed unacceptable by the ICC -- and only one other candidate, former Lahore Stock Exchange chairman Aftab Ahmad.
Ashraf`s nomination was widely criticised by former players and officials because it was seen as politically motivated, with the cricket head coming from the same party as the president, and former Pakistan Army cricket coach Ahmed Nadeem Sadal challenged it in the courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das