Lahore: Continuing his clemency spree, Pakistan Cricket Board arbitrator Justice (retd) Irfan Qadir on Saturday lifted the indefinite ban on former captain Younus Khan.
After a hearing at the national cricket academy here, the retired justice said that there was no ground for the ban on Younus.
“The ban was an open handed judgement from the board’s inquiry committee. It didn’t follow the proper procedure while banning Younis,” Qadir told the media.
He said if the board wanted, it can issue a fresh showcause notice to Younus and give him a proper chance to defend himself.
Qadir last week had also lifted the ban on another former captain Shoaib Malik and removed the Rs three million fine slapped on captain Shahid Afridi. He also halved the fines on the Akmal brothers – Kamran and Umar.
“It is a big victory for Younis, he is very happy because his stand has been vindicated today,” Younus’ lawyer Ahmed Qayyum said.
“We have been saying all along that the ban is unjustified and my client has done nothing wrong,” Qayyum said.
“If the board does send us a showcause notice we will deal with it when it comes,” he added.
The PCB had imposed indefinite bans on Younus and Mohammad Yousuf and 12-month bans on Shoaib Malik and all-rounder Rana Naved on basis of a probe into the team’s shambolic tour of Australia early this year where the players were involved in infighting.
The board, on recommendations of its inquiry committee that conducted the probe, also heavily fined Afridi and the Akmal brothers for indiscipline and misconduct.
Yousuf, who led Pakistan in Australia, announced his retirement after the ban but the others all appealed their penalties.
Qadir also said that the board should review the ban on Yousuf and talk to him.
“I would also ask Yousuf to put aside his personal grievances and get in touch with the board so this stigma can be removed,” he said.
Younus who is presently playing in England was not picked in the 15-member squad announced for the Asia Cup on Thursday although the selectors picked Malik.
Rana Naved whose hearing is due on June 15 is the only player now left whose ban and fine of two million rupees are yet to be reviewed or removed.