Pakistan eye a series whitewash against Bangladesh
Dhaka: Pakistan are confident of a 2-0 rout of struggling Bangladesh with another solid all-round performance in the second and final Test starting in Dhaka on Friday.
The tourists toyed with Bangladesh in the opening Test, racing to an innings and 184-run victory with more than a day to spare in Chittagong on Monday.
Misbah-ul-Haq`s side won after dismissing Bangladesh for a paltry 135 in the first innings on the first day of the match on a good batting pitch.
Pakistan`s batsmen dominated the mediocre Bangladeshi attack to help their team post a mammoth 594-5 declared, with Younis Khan hammering an unbeaten double-century and Mohammad Hafeez and Asad Shafiq each scoring a hundred.
Pakistan`s bowlers never allowed the Bangladeshi batsmen to build a big partnership in the match, bowling the hosts out for 275 in the second innings.
Left-arm spinner Abdur Rehman emerged the most successful bowler with seven wickets in the match, while off-spinner Saeed Ajmal and pacemen Umar Gul and Aizaz Cheema also kept pressure on Bangladesh.
Pakistan, who arrived in Bangladesh fresh from their success in all formats of the game against Sri Lanka in the United Arab Emirates, will be keen to extend their impressive run.
"The confidence comes from performances," said Misbah.
"When you are performing as a team and performing well, the confidence keeps building. This is really helping us as a team."
Bangladesh need to put in improved batting and bowling performances if they want to avoid their eighth successive Test defeat against Pakistan since 2001.
The hosts dropped former captain and middle-order batsman Mohammad Ashraful, who scored one and zero in the first Test, and named fast bowler Shafiul Islam in place of injured Rubel Hossain.
Batting was Bangladesh`s main worry in the last Test, with debutant opener Mohammed Nazimuddin alone giving a good account of himself with a defiant 31 in the first innings and 78 in the second.
The hosts expect more from their specialist batsmen like Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal and skipper Mushfiqur Rahim, in a bid to test Pakistan.
Bangladesh (from): Mushfiqur Rahim (capt), Mohammad Mahmudullah, Tamim Iqbal, Mohammed Nazimuddin, Shahriar Nafees, Shakib Al Hasan, Naeem Islam, Nasir Hossain, Elias Sunny, Shahadat Hossain, Sohrawardi Shuvo, Robiul Islam, Nazmul Hossain, Shafiul Islam.
Pakistan (from): Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Taufeeq Umar, Imran Farhat, Younis Khan, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Shoaib Malik, Adnan Akmal, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Umar Gul, Mohammad Talha, Aizaz Cheema, Mohammad Khalil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India