Pakistan government likely to appoint retired judge as PCB caretaker
Karachi: The Pakistan government is likely to appoint a retired judge to head the PCB as caretaker chairman and election commissioner until the elections are held to elect a new chief of the board.
A reliable government source told PTI today that Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif is expected to give approval on Monday for the announcement of the caretaker chairman.
The Supreme Court had, in its ruling last month, gave seven days` time to the government to announce the caretaker chairman.
"We are already overdue according to the deadline given by the Supreme Court because of the Eid holidays but an announcement will be made on Monday," the source said.
He however ruled out the appointment of Justice (retd) Jamshad Ali Shah as the caretaker chairman as the same judge was appointed by the government last time before the Supreme Court declared his appointment null and void.
The two-member bench of the SC, in its final observations while disposing off all petitions related to the PCB, cricket matters and former chairmen, Zaka Ashraf and Najam Sethi had said that the litigation on cricket matters since last year had caused a lot of damage to Pakistan cricket and the running and efficiency of the PCB.
It observed that the litigations which mainly resulted from who should lead the board, Ashraf or Sethi, had not been good for Pakistan cricket`s image and also affected the morale of the people who follow the sport in Pakistan.
The two judges hoped the caretaker set-up will hold elections under new constitution which would bring stability in the board.
Under the new constitution, the 10-member Board of Governors will elect the new chairman from candidates on the BG with two members appointed as technocrats by the Prime Minister in his capacity as patron-in-chief of the PCB.
The other members on the Board of Governors are representatives of the regional associations and departments affiliated to the board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday