Pakistan keen to play day-night Test against SL
Karachi: Pakistan is keen to become the first Test playing nation to play a day and night Test match when it hosts Sri Lanka for a full series later this year in the United Arab Emirates.
Pakistan has proposed to Sri Lanka Cricket to play one of the three Tests in the series scheduled in December-January to under lights either in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah or Dubai.
"We were forced to hold our home series at neutral venues like the UAE for the past few years and we feel that having a day-night Test has lot of commercial viability to it," a senior official of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said.
PCB chief operating officer, Subhan Ahmad said that discussions were going on with the SLC in this regard.
"But we are keen to go ahead and play at least one Test under lights because we feel a day and night Test can also revive interest in this format and attract spectators," Ahmad said.
"Initial inquiries have also shown that broadcasters are also keen on the concept of a day-night Test match," he said.
Ahmad said the commercial viability of playing a day-night Test was very encouraging for the PCB.
"We are looking at having a profitable series against South Africa and Sri Lanka in the UAE this year and a day and night Test could be the icing on the cake," he said.
The ICC also last year allowed its member countries to have day-night Tests on bilateral basis after they agreed on the brand and color of the ball to be used in the match and on the match timings.
"We think a day-night Test match would be great for the sport and also bring in spectators and conditions in the UAE in December and January are also ideal for day-night matches," he said.
Pakistan has in the past also first experimented with the concept of neutral umpires which was later accepted and implemented by the ICC.
The series, the second bilateral contest between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the UAE, will be played in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi. The first Test is scheduled for December 31 in Dubai, while Abu Dhabi and Sharjah will host the second and third Tests, from January 8 and January 16 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery