Pakistan leg spinner Kaneria upset with incessant delay in appeal against life ban
Islamabad: Pakistani leg-spinner Danish Kaneria has said he was left disappointed with the continuous delay for his appeal against a life ban to be heard by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
Kaneria had been in England for the past several weeks but the hearing has been delayed due to the non-cooperation of key witness Mervyn Westfield, his former Essex teammate, the Express Tribune reports.
The new date for the appeal has been set for April 22 after Kaneria``s lawyers challenged the absence of Westfield, who stayed away from the original appeal hearing, held on December 10 last year in London.
Kaneria said he has come all the way from Pakistan to seek justice but it is strange that Westfield isn``t showing up to be cross-questioned by his lawyers and an independent panel.
Kaneria added he has learnt that this new date of April 22 is provisional and not confirmed which is creating problems for him, adding they have been told that Westfield would be sent a legal notice through the high court to appear for the hearing.
Kaneria``s legal team has raised objections on the continued absence of Westfield from the appeal hearing.
Westfield had his testimony recorded before a crown court in London early last year, which led to the ECB disciplinary panel imposing a life ban on Kaneria from playing in England.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), pending the outcome of the appeal hearing, also suspended the player as he was accused by Westfield for introducing him to a bookmaker.
Kaneria said cricket is his life and he has been banned for life, which has really unsettled him and his family.
Kaneria added he hopes that justice will be served and he would be able to play for Pakistan again as he hasn``t done anything wrong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj